Tuesday 2 November 2010

Pimsleur Twi Review


As you know over the last few months I have been attempting to learn Twi, an Akan language of Ghana, where I am originally from. To do this I bought a Twi-English dictionary and the Pimsleur Twi Audio CD set. Here are my thoughts on it.

The Pimsleur Twi Audio course is a 10 lesson audio course with a short accompanying reading booklet. Each audio lesson is about 20-25 minutes long and the course is designed for you to complete one lesson a day, everyday if possible. Reading lessons are much shorter (2 – 5 minutes) and are separate from the main audio part. The reading lessons took place roughly every other day. The material covered included basic that you would encounter as a tourist in Ghana e.g.: introducing yourself, asking for directions, and buying food and drink etc.

I have to say that this is the first ever teach-yourself-a-language course that I have ever managed to complete. Usually I get bored or find the language too difficult to learn and give up.  The Pimsleur course was actually engaging and enjoyable. It also went at a pace that was easy to follow. It may have helped that I was already a bit familiar with the language. However there were days that I did have to repeat because I struggled with the lesson the first time round.

The biggest surprise I found was that I found that I knew a lot more Twi than I thought I did. I had clearly been picking it up passively from family and friends around me over the last 23 years without realising it. Although I am far, far, far from fluent I think that doing the course gave me something I didn’t have before: confidence. I had my first fairly long conversation with my mum last Friday entirely in Twi. I gave myself a pat on the back for that, and she understood everything that I said. I didn’t understand everything she said though but I was able to get the gist of it.
Prior to this I had never done any reading in Twi. The reading exercises were simple and straightforward.  I had been a bit worried as to how I would be able to improve my reading skills (and therefore my vocabulary) because I haven’t seen any books written in Twi other than the bible, which I knew was going to be incredibly difficult for a beginner to read. However a Google search revealed resources like dual language English-Twi children’s stories, which I’m planning to buy before I take on more advanced texts. I also found other blogs written by people trying to learn/teach Twi.

All in all I think the course was a very good learning experience (I just hope I don’t forget what I’ve learned).

Meda ase paaa. (Thank you very much)

Useful websites
Bilingual Babes Blog - has some useful links to other Twi resources like children's books

My next step - I'm saving some money to get the Nkyea Twi primer as that will give me a larger vocabulary from the 200 or so words I know at the moment, which will definitely help improve my reading.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this blog has given me so much confidence that I too will be able to hold a conversation in twi one day. I was born in England but my parents didn't speak twi in the house as I have an older brother with learning difficulties who had difficulty learning to speak therefore the thought it best to stick to one language within the house.

    I love my Ghanaian heritage but feel really upset that I can't understand or speak twi in any good depth. I will definitely invest in some materials to avoid feelings of outsideness on my next visit to Ghana. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Want to have your say? Do it...