Monday 23 August 2010

I’m a medic, get me out of here!

Why does your job take over your life? I recently went to an event where most of the people there were doctors. (I’m not quite there yet). To be honest I think we medics are the worst. When in the company of other doctors we can’t seem to talk about anything other than medicine. I felt for the poor non-medics dotted around the room. (There weren’t many of them I don’t think). I can imagine if I were in their situation I would feel rather left out. We as a group must seem very dull. We seem to have no other interests than our job. Indeed our jobs are our lives. Of course, being interested in your job is a great thing however; having nothing else in your life I think, is a great shame.

Ok, I suppose I exaggerate. I’m sure all of these people have other interests, hobbies and past times but I really do think that the world of medicine is a bit of a bubble. It’s isolated from the rest of the universe with their acronyms and abbreviations and jargon. It really does seem that way. And I’m on the inside.

Why are people so defined by their job? There’s so much more to life and people than what you do from 9-5 (or whatever time/shift you work). Even when you meet someone for the first time, one of the first things you find out from him or her is what they do for a living. Almost everybody has some kind of preconceived idea of your job and will form an impression of you based on it. This is a typical conversation I have a lot:

“Hi, I’m so-and-so. What’s your name?”
“I’m Claudia”
“Nice to meet you. What do you do?”
“Oh I’m a student.”
“Oh what do you study?”
Tentatively because I know what’s coming “I study Medicine”
“Oh wow.” Look of mild surprise. “You must be really clever/work really hard”
“Ummmm No”

Even if you say nothing else to them ever again we pigeonhole people into professions, occupations and jobs. Why? It’s just so…limiting.

I suppose we all know this. Maybe I’m complaining over nothing. Am I the only person who doesn’t like this? Oh well.

One thing’s for sure when around medics; sometimes I wish I wasn’t one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to have your say? Do it...