Saturday 21 August 2010

My mother's Tongue

I recently came back from a trip to Ghana. Whenever I go there I’m always a bit worried as to how I’m going to communicate with people. Although my family are originally from Ghana I was born and raised in England. My parents didn’t speak much Twi with me as I was growing up so I never learned it. When I go to there my ‘foreignness’ shows. Big Time.

I hate it. Every time I go I tell myself I must learn the language. It’s My language I tell myself. Or is it? When I speak the words sound alien on my tongue. I never know if I’m saying the right words, and/or saying them in the right order etc. People furrow their eyebrows, squint their eyes and try to decipher what I’ve said. Or they just look at me like I’m stupid. My family encourage me to try.

But I don’t want pity. I want perfection. Or at least to have a conversational level of Twi. To be honest I think I would be content with just understanding.

In Ghana I’m forgiven for not knowing the language because I have the excuse ‘I was born in England’. The problem is in England 99% of all the Ghanaian people I know understand and speak Twi. When I’m around them it’s insufferable. God I wish I understood!

I used to blame my parents for this. Every time I told them I wanted to learn they would start speaking to me in Twi and only Twi.  After about half a day or so I would find some excuse or I just wasn’t coping so I (and they) would give up.  And my dream, for the time being, would die. Sad times.

The fact is that I have had plenty of time to do something about it. To take matters into my own hands. I just haven’t. I hid behind a rubbish excuse.  What I need is a change of attitude. Self-discipline.  Diligence.

I’m learning again. I have a bunch of CDs and I’m going to do this for real. I’m hoping my next visit to Ghana will be a little bit different.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to have your say? Do it...